After School Band Program — Volunteer Positions
The After School Band program is funded by donations from our present and past band families, and members and business in our local community. In 2015-16, Fremont Unified School District is contributing partial funding to the After School Band program. Neighboring school districts ask for over $250 for nearly identical 4th-6th grade band programs. Because of your generosity, and that of our hard working volunteers, we are able to offer an affordable program, and not turn any child away. We are happy that we can offer an affordable, quality band experience for all our students.
Can You Help? FEF is asking parents to help the success of the ASB program by donating time, money or both. If you can help, please contact Tracy Leon at email@example.com
The following are suggested donation/volunteer guidelines:
Definition of After-School Band Volunteer Positions
The following volunteer positions have a suggested minimum donation Level of $20 and 40 hours of volunteer time:
Band Class Parent (1 – 2 persons per Band Class)
- Join FEF Yahoo group for announcements
- Join Band Class Yahoo group or email list (if available) for your child’s band class
- Help the Band Instructors in class as needed – (i.e. set-up and take-down of chairs and music stands, take roll call, etc.)
- Work with “Email Coordinator and Phone Tree Coordinator” on special event announcements for class.
- Help keep Band Instructor informed on upcoming school events and possible site issues (book fairs, Back to school Night, etc.)
- Help T-Shirt Coordinator with t-shirt distribution.
T-shirt Coordinator (1 – 5 persons)
- Compile order list of shirts from several excel sheets.
- Inventory T-shirts on hand
- Make lists for each band class to fill orders
- Get two pricing quotes from local vendors for order
- Place order
- Pick up order
- Work with Band Class Parents to distribute t-shirts
- Keep in contact with FEF Band Coordinator throughout process for help, guidance and reporting.
Parade Coordinators (2 persons per parade)
- Fill out Parade entry form, approximately 3 months before parade.
- With Band Instructor, determine practice times and locations, 2-3 months before parade
- With Band Instructor, identify music for parade 2-3 months before parade.
- Update flier inviting kids to participate in parade as needed, get printed and distribute to ASB Instructors & Junior High Band Instructors (help will be provided to do this easily) 1-2 months before parade
- Compile List of students who have RSVP’d including payment info 1-3 weeks before parade
- Send reminder emails or telephone calls to students/parents a few days before first practice.
- Order hats or decorations for parade 1-2 weeks before parade:
- Festival of Lights: glow necklaces and bracelets from FEF’s vendor, pick up as needed
- 4th of July
- Other parades depending on year
- Attend each parade practice, take attendance, collect money as needed
- Bring first aid kit, sunscreen (summer), name tags, safety pins to practices and parade.
- Help Band Instructor during practice as needed
- Make flier with parade specific information on where to meet, times, dress, etc... for parade day (we have template from previous years)
- Be responsible for FEF banner and pole to/from parade
- Make certificates of participation for parade week afterwards, and distribute to ASB Instructors to hand out in class.
- Write short story of parade for FEF web site
The following volunteer positions have a suggested minimum donation Level of $75 and 10 hours of volunteer time:
T-shirt and Parade Helpers
- Help T-Shirt Coordinator distribute t-shirts to all band students
- Help Parade Coordinator check-in students during practice and day of parade
- Help Parade Coordinator with flier distribution as needed
- Help Band Instructor and Parade Coordinator as needed
Attendance Area Concert Assistant (1 – 2 persons for each band class)
- Help band instructors during the concert
- Ensure all students have their music sheets
- Ensure all students know where to sit during the concert
- Help with developing the concert program (as needed)
- Help setup/takedown chairs, music stands, tables as needed.
Email/E-group, Mail and Phone Tree Coordinators (as needed)
- Make Yahoo group or email list for band class(es)
- Join FEF Yahoo group for announcements
- Receive messages from Band Instructor(s) as needed and send reminder to the group
- Work with “Band Class Parent(s)” on special event announcements for class(es).
- Be proactive in sending reminders of holidays, upcoming events, etc.
- Keep all family names and information confidential – not for distribution. Not for solicitation, other groups or lists of any kind.
- Make phone calls to other parents who do not have email, to relay the message
- Need one caller per 10 parents without email per class
- Assist FEF personnel with distributing information via mail – tasks include folding fliers and stuffing envelopes.